Here is definition of main concepts of cryptozoology.
Cryptid is a creature or plant whose existence has been suggested but is not recognized by scientific consensus.
Cryptids can be:
- Distribution anomalies, creatures outside of where they normally live
- Undescribed, unusual, or outsized variations of known species
- Survivals of recently extinct species
- Survivals of species known only from the fossil record into modern times
- Animals not known from the fossil record but related to known species
- Animals not known from the fossil record nor related to any known species
- Supernatural or magical creatures (zombies, fairies, unicorns, etc.)
Cryptozoology is the study of animals that haven't been proven to exist. It comes from the Greek word "kryptos" for hidden, and zoology, a study of animals. Animals that are subjects of cryptozoological study are called cryptids.